Godwin Hotel Haridwar, Rishikesh Road, Opp Shanti Kunj, Haridwar 249205, 91-9012211111

ABOUT MEERUT BRANCH

Meerut is a metropolitan city in the Indian state of Pradesh. It is an ancient city located 70 km (43 mi) northeast of the national capital New Delhi. It is a part of the National Capital Region of India. It is the second largest city of National Capital Region of India after Delhi. Meerut is the 63rd-fastest-growing urban area in the world.

History

Meerut is said to be associated with earliest traditions of the Hindus according to which Maya, the father-in-law of Ravana, founded this place which has, therefore, been call Maidant-ka-Khera. According to another version Maya, a distinguished architect, got from king Yudhishther the land on which the city of Meerut now stands and he called this place Mayrashtra, a name which in course of time became shortened to Meerut.

Ravana’s wife Mandodari (in Ramayana) hailed from Meerut. Thus the city is also known as ‘Ravan Ki Sasural’ literally meaning Ravana’s wife’s home.

However, even before the Vedic period, Meerut contained a Harappan settlement known as Alamgirpur. It was also the easternmost settlement of the Indus valley civilization. Meerut had been a centre of Buddhism in the period of Mauryan Emperor Ashoka (r. 273 BC to 232 BC.),

Meerut is famously associated with the Indian Rebellion of 1857 against the British East India Company. The famous slogan “Dilli Chalo” (“Let’s march to Delhi!”) was first raised here.

How to Reach
Air

Meerut is well-connected to major cities. Three national highways (NH-58, NH-119 & NH-235) pass through Meerut. Upper Ganga Canal Expressway which passes through outskirts of the city is under development. The nearest airport is the Indira Gandhi International Airport which is about 80 km away.

Major Attractions

Meerut Cantonment is the 2nd largest cantonment of India both in land area and population. It was established in 1803 by English East India Company. Meerut Cantonment was the place from where the revolt of 1857 started. The Mall road is one of the oldest and most beautiful roads of Meerut, the most splendid sight of the cantonment and surrounded with clean footpaths, statues and trees. A tank of Pakistan army is standing as an exception in cantonment.

  •   St. John’s Church – This church was established by Chaplin Reverend Henry Fisher on behalf of the East India Company in 1819 in the cantonment area and was completed in 1822. It is considered one of the oldest churches in North India. The Church was dedicated to the people by Bishop Wilson. It has a seating capacity of 10,000 people. During the war of 1857, this church was the scene of heavy fighting between Indians and the British forces.  Shaheed Smarak- The
  • Shaheed Smarak is a much visited tourist spot and is almost 30 meters in height and made of marble. Functions are organised on every occasion of national importance and people pay homage to the brave Shahids.
  •    Augarnath Temple – This grand temple(also known as Kalipaltan Mandir locally) is located at the site where the soldiers of the war of 1857 planned their operations. The temple also houses a memorial built to honor the martyrs of the revolt of 1857. The old temple has been replaced by a modern version…
  •     Suraj Kund- There is a pond in Meerut called Suraj Kund, built by a rich businessman by the name of Lawar Jahawar Lal in 1714, presently it serves as a major sports market of India.

Day excursions

(Sardhana church) is located 16 kms from Meerut. Sardhana is also known for the ancient Mahadev Temple that is believed to be dating from the Mahabharata period. It was here that the Pandavas prayed before leaving for the Lakhshagraha.

In the 19th century, Sardhana was the capital of the Begum Samru, born as Farzana Zebunisa in 1751, and considered to be the only Catholic ruler in India. The church she built in 1822 became a cathedral for a short time, with its own bishop. In December 1961, Pope John XXIII conferred the dignity of Minor Basilica to the church, now known as ‘Basilica of Our Lady of Graces’. This dignity is given only on churches that are both beautiful and historically famous.

Parikshitgarh: The place is associated with and derives its name from King Parikshit of Hastinapur (the grandson of Arjuna). The fort was built by Parikshit and restored by Gurjar King Nain Singh in the eighteenth century.

Hastinapur: In the present day Hastinapura is a small town in the Doab region of Uttar Pradesh, called’ ‘Hastinapur”, 37 km from Meerut and 110 km from Delhi

Hastinapura: Hastin (elephant) + pura (city) = city named after the elephants.

History of this place begins from the period of Mahabharata. It is also described as Gajpur, Hastinapur, Nagpur, Asandivat, Brahmasthal, Shanti Nagar and Kunjarpur etc. in Shashtras. Grandson of Samrat Ashok, king Samprati has built many temples here during his empire. The ancient temple & the stoops are not present today since this city has come across through many ups & downs.Hastinapur city was located on the earlier course of the of holy river Ganga.Excavation at Hastinapur was carried out in early 1950s, by B.B. Lal, of the Archaeological Survey of India. Although the main aim of this excavation, mentioned by Lal himself, “was to find out the stratigraphic position of the Painted Grey Ware with reference to other known ceramic industries of the early historical period”1, Lal could not resist attempting a correlation between Mahabharata, the text, and the material remains that he uncovered at Hastinapur. This exercise led him to historicize some of the traditions mentioned in the text, as well as link the appearance of the Painted Grey Ware with the arrival of the “Aryans” in upper Ganga basin areas.

Places to visit

Jain Temples

Acharya (teacher) of Kharatargatchh Shri Jinchandrasuriji has described 4 stoops (pillars) at the time of his visit in VS 1627. Muni Shri Soubhagya Vijayji has visited this place in 18th century of VS and described about three stoops (pillars). The Shwetambar temple is renovated recently & the re-establishment (pratishtha) took place on Margshirsh Shukla 10 of VS 2021. Re-establishment (pratishtha) of Digambar temple took place in VS 1863.Digambar Jain Bada Mandir and Old Pandeshwer Temple was renovated by Gurjar king Nain Singh. Old Pandeshwer Temple: It’s an old temple of Lord Shiva, situated in the ruins of old Hastinapur.Gurjar king Nain Singh. Old Pandeshwer Temple: It’s an old temple of Lord Shiva, situated in the ruins of old Hastinapur.

Hastinapur National Park

Founded in 1986, in Meerut, Ghaziabad, Bijnore and Jyotiba Phule Nagar, The Hastinapur Sanctuary sprawling in an area of 2073 sq. kms.Hastinapur National Park is rich in faunal wealth because of the varied types of ecological niches existing in the reserve. The main groups occur are mammals, birds, reptiles (snakes and lizards), and amphibians (frogs & toads) butterflies and fishes, and chiefly the invertebrate groups are, the Scorpions, Centipedes, Odonata (dragon & damselflies), Hymenoptera (wasps, bees, etc.) Isoptera (termites) and Lepidoptera which comprises more than 60 species. Our National Bird Peacock is found here in abundance. Other inhabitants include the sloth bear, jackal, wild pig and the lesser cats- fishing cat, leopard cat, jungle cat and civet. Hastinapur has also an abundance of birds. There are spectacular painted storks, black and white necked storks, sarus cranes and varied night birds of prey, ranging from the great Indian horned owl to the jungle owlet, Colorful woodpeckers, barbets, kingfishers, minivets, bee etc…

Barnawa

This place just 36 KM from the Meerut.

Barnawa has significant role in the Mahabharata. The main attraction of the village is the Lakhshagraha mount where Kauravas tried to burn Pandvas also known as Lakha Mandap to the local people. This is the place where one can even see the canal made by Pandavs to protect themselves from Kauravas. One can enjoy the tracks to ride on the small mount.

ROOMS OF MEERUT BRANCH

HOTEL GALLERY

NH58, Baghpat Crossing,Near Subharti University, Meerut Bypass, Meerut – 250002

 +91-9012122222